Ssp anatolicum: Ana keteni; Ssp bozdaghense: Bozdağ keteni; Ssp byzantinum: Saray keteni;
Ssp oreocaricum: Babadağ keteni; Ssp pseudoanatolicum: Bozkır keteni
Perennial, often lignified but not usually suffruticose at base; sterile shoots usually absent. Stems divergent, erect or prostrate, bearing oblong, linear or spathulate leaves with or without stalked marginal glands, 1-5-nerved, hairy or sometimes glabrous. Cymes few-many-flowered, usually lax and widely spreading. Outer sepals ovate-lanceolate, subacuminate, 5-10 mm, glandular-ciliate in the upper ½ or 2/3. Petals lilac, pink or white, 25-38 mm, tapering into a claw c. ½ as long as limb. Capsule c. 5 mm.
Several races may be recognised in Turkey; others occur in Europe.
1. Median cauline leaves margined by stalked glands, oblong
2. Stems ascending or erect, 1-2 mm thick; median leaves 10-25 mm; cyme lax, spreading, 7-many-flowered; petals usually lilac or pink, rarely white subsp. anatolicum
3. Leaves 2-5 mm wide, not semi-amplexicaul, 1-3-nerved; stems divergent var. anatolicum
3. Leaves 5-10 mmwide, semi-amplexicaul, 3-5-nerved; stems apparently erect var. platyphyllum
2. Stems prostrate, scarcely 1 mm thick; median leaves 6-9 mm; inflorescence 1-3-flowered; petals white subsp.oreocaricum
1. Median cauline leaves not margined by glands; oblong, linear or subspathulate
4. Plant herbaceous, often lignified at base but not suffruticose; median leaves oblong or linear subsp. pseudoanatolicum
4. Plant weakly suffruticose; median leaves oblong-spathulate, tapered below subsp. byzantinum